18 January 2010

In Honor of Martin Luther King Jr.


As a young girl, I remember learning the story of MLK Jr. I remember watching his speech for the first time. It still brings tears to my eyes. As a woman today, I recognize the struggle, the hardship, being 'underestimated'. Working in the bike industry, for two years now, has made me aware of my 'lesser status' everyday. Although MLK Jr. worked for the rights of African Americans, the ideals he preached applied to all and any.


Today, it is crucial for us to remember the strides that were made. But we must also remember the fear those strides created. Authorities feared the progress of the Civil Rights movement. They feared those 'lesser classes'. We must continually remember that our footing is not cemented in history. Our footing is in quicksand, and moving forward is the only alternative to falling backwards.


"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity." Rev Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment