18 January 2010

Quick Fix- Mochi Treats


Any person pressed for time will enjoy these GF mochi treats. They can be eaten any time of day, but remind me of cinnamon rolls, so I think breakfast is perfect. Plus it's fast enough to make while the coffee (or tea) is brewing.

The company is Grainaissance, the product is Mochi Cinammon Raisin. I believe this was found at Whole Foods. It has been (unopened) in my deli drawer for one month and has not gone bad. Today I needed a quick fix. The product comes in a large, thick sheet that is cut into squares (you'll want your heaviest, sharpest knife).

I find that a toaster oven with a 'fan + bake' setting has been crucial for meeting my time crunched demands. I also reuse a sheet of parchment paper (eco-friendly of course) to reduce clean up time. The squares go on the parchment paper and into the preheated toaster oven. A few minutes later they are puffed and ready to prep.

Goat cheese with raisins and honey are my favorite toppings, but obviously it's open to experimentation. Best served warm, but still good once they've cooled.

The process:

1) Cut Mochi sheet into squares (no wider than 2"x2"

2) Preheat oven to 450 degrees

3) Place squares on parchment paper, with at least 1" between squares

4) Cook until puffed and browned (pictures above are slightly overcooked). About 5min in the toster oven.

5) Fill with whatever you like. I enjoy 1 tsp goat cheese, a couple raisins, and a drizzle of locally made honey.

http://www.grainaissance.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment