18 January 2010

Stott Pilates: Simple Stretches


After crashing multiple times during the mountain bike training ride Saturday, I am barely able to move my neck. My right sternocleidomastoid muscle has tightened up, I presume a proprioceptor response. Quite possible when I crashed at high speed, landing on my left side, my head whipped to the left and strained the muscle. My right hip flexor is also sore to the touch, probably from the ~4500' of climbing we rode.

I had queued this video from Netflix and decided to try it today. Not only was I able to do all of the stretches, it made me feel better! Amazing. I felt an incredible release in my spine throughout the workout. Officially a fan. The stretches require strength and are slightly more intense than the typical yoga pose.

Only downside: It's a little cheesy. If you can get past the soft, soothing voices and the constant elevator music in the background it's a great stretching aid. No 'yoga' props are really necessary. A mat, yoga block, and strap will help though.

No comments:

Post a Comment