17 January 2010

Why 'Gluten Free Cyclist'

I'm new to the world of being 'Gluten Free'. I landed here about four months ago when I became incredibly ill after eating 'Seitan' (read: popular vegan meat alternative aka a chunk of gluten) at a local pub. None of the people I was with got sick, just me. A few weeks later the scenario played on repeat.

I'd been battling GI problems my entire life. I have memories of vomiting spells that no one could explain--being the only one to get sick from meals the entire family ate-- as early as seven years old. They continued through my teenage years, along with chronic nausea and fatigue. Even as an athlete I carried a little extra weight, no matter how much I dieted.

After the 'seitan' episodes, my partner and I began an investigation. I have an aversion to doctors and hospitals. Clearly it was something I ate, and the seitan was the only possible culprit. Gluten what? I didn't know what 'gluten' was or what 'celiacs' were. But my partner was worried about my health and discovered a possibility. I immediately eliminated gluten from my diet and saw incredible results. Among them: the nausea went away, increased energy, weight loss, and a lot happier.

So here I am, writing a blog about my experience, because I greatly appreciate every single gluten free blog I've read and want to give back to the GF community, specifically 'Gluten Free Mommy' and 'Gluten Free Girl and the Chef'.

No comments:

Post a Comment